Tuesday 25 March 2008

The wonders of google

Compared to Rabbitch and Franklin, the google searches that bring people this way are relatively tame. Most , in fact, are searching for "viviennes pastimes" or variants thereof, in which case I humbly suggest that most web browsers have a bookmark facility. If you're on a public access computer, and can't use bookmarks, then please don't take offence.

On the other hand, over the past week there have been an awful lot of searches for "Charlotte Mendelson" that have ended up here (and my writing about it isn't necessarily going to help the situation). I assume this is because her latest novel, "When We Were Bad", is on the Orange Longlist. If you're here looking for my opinion on it, then I'm sorry, but I can't help you yet. "Love in Idleness" and "Daughters of Jerusalem" are two of my favourite modern novels, but "When We Were Bad" is still on a Heap of Books Not Yet Read. Even when I do get around to it, I may not get around to writing up my views on it for months, if at all.

And if I'm going to have an entirely accurate premonition that the heating at work would entirely fail to function today, on a bitterly cold morning with a couple of inches of snow on the ground, couldn't I have the premonition a little earlier in the morning? Like, early enough to put on thermal underwear, instead of just as I was picking my way along Hall Quay?

No comments: