Wednesday 19 December 2007

Getting There

This is a very appropriate colour for Advent, of course. I am progressing so fast that I am beginning to worry a little about running out of centre before the needle I have ordered for the border arrives (I am using 4.5 mm needles, so there isn't an Addi Lace needle available, and I will be making do with bamboo).

Jean, I am so glad I am not the only 'late' decorator. I try to do it to the accompaniment of the Nine Lessons and Carols from Kings College when I can, but this year I will be at work until 4 o'clock. I don't think my employers are particularly Scrooge-like for opening on Christmas Eve, but as I don't have a houseful of over-excited children home from school I do think I should be the one to volunteer to work that day. I actually quite enjoy walking home from work at 4 o'clock (we do get to go earlier than usual), knowing that Christmas is really here, like the end of term. Besides, it's one way of preventing me from ending up in Tesco in a panic. The feeling will be more intense this year than ever before, as it is the last working day of my old job, which I've been doing for five and a half years. I was a callow 23 year old when I started it, engaged to be married, not at all sure what she was doing in Norfolk. I've had three job titles, five office moves, two heads of department, a departmental name change and a corporate restructure since then, but this is the first time I have actually changed job (I work in the public sector, as is probably obvious).

No comments: