Sunday 7 October 2007

A Day Late (but nothing short)


This is not a true colour. It's late in the evening, I was using flash; and besides, the jumper is wet. It really ought to be dry by Thursday morning, especially with the towels inside to help it. It also has pins in the back neck; I don't normally use pins for jumper-blocking, but the neck has only a couple of rows of garter stitch, and I felt the need to be even more persuasive than usual about where I wanted it to lie.

Vital Statistics

Started: September 3rd 2007
Completed: October 7th 2007 (which makes it the fastest jumper I have ever knitted)
Pattern: Turbulence U-Neck Pullover from Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature
Size: Small (finished measurement 40" to fit my 38" circumference)
Yarn: Jaeger Matchmaker Merino Double Knitting (my favourite wool in all the world. So naturally it's discontinued), 8 balls (I only broke into the 8th because I needed to knit with two balls at once on a number of occasions. Quantity-wise, it took 7, which leaves me with 5 untouched balls and the equivalent of a 6th from the 13 I bought in the John Lewis sale a very long time ago).
Needles: Addi Turbo, 3.25mm (I didn't have the 3.5 mm specified by the pattern) and 4 mm
Modifications: Three needle cast-off on the shoulders and neck band knitted in the round. This hardly counts as a pattern modification for me, I do it so often. Front neck shaping fiddled because despite having the appropriate tension, following the pattern would have had me still shaping the neck some ten rows after casting off.
Satisfaction: Immense. Finished in time, and precisely the fit I wanted. I had been quite worried about my choice of size, because I have a very odd idea of my actual circumference, but with this I decided that it was time to knit a jumper that fitted me, not me and several friends.

Spider News

Chris saw this while he was putting the bins out, and wanted to share it with the world (or that small part of the world that visits this blog). You have been warned.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Norah Gaughan rules. There's a KAL for Knitting Nature http://knittingnature.blogspot.com/
I'm sure they'd be delighted to hear about your Turbulence.